In taking our time to enjoy each moment, we create an opportunity to grow and learn from every experience. Being open and aware allows us to absorb life's lessons and make incremental steps toward something, which may seem overwhelming if looked at as a whole.
Whole grains, such as quinoa, barley, amaranth, brown rice and wild rice, support us in incremental changes toward a clear mind and healthy body. They are a wonderful source of nutrition, containing essential enzymes, fiber, iron, vitamin E and B complex vitamins. The high quality protein is absorbed slowly by the body to provide sustained energy. Adding them to the diet puts us one step closer to a stronger, leaner body.
RECIPE: Quinoa with Garbanzos and Spinach
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Yields: 8 servings
1 cup quinoa
2 ¼ cups water or stock
Pinch of salt
1 yellow onion, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ cup dried cherries
1 pound spinach leaves
1 cup garbanzo beans, cooked or canned
Juice and zest from 2 oranges
1. Wash quinoa and toast in a dry pan for a few minutes, until it smells nutty.
2. Boil water and add salt and quinoa. Turn heat to low and simmer, covered for 20 minutes.
3. On medium-high, heat oil in a skillet and sauté onions for 10 minutes.
4. Add cherries, spinach, garbanzo beans and a pinch of salt. Cover and cook 3-5 minutes until spinach has wilted.
5. Mix quinoa together with the other ingredients in a large bowl.
6. Add orange juice and zest and stir gently.
7. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
Exercise for Life!
With only 3-5 minutes each day of a cardio-based exercise, like jumping jacks, invisible jump rope or alternating front lungs we can take another incremental step toward a healthier body. Three to five minutes a day will provide a sense of accomplishment that will support and encourage you on your journey to new beginnings and over time the momentum will naturally increase.
With Love and Gratitude,
Preston J. Ephraim II,
Health and Lifestyle Coach
Preston J. Ephraim II received his training at The Institute for Integrative Nutrition in New York City. He is board certified by the American Association of Drugless Practitioners leading workshops on nutrition and lifestyle balance. Preston offers health and lifestyle coaching for children, individuals and couples. For more information and to contact Preston visit www.myhealthcoachpreston.com, http://www.myhealthcoachpreston.com or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.